Sunday, August 2, 2020

Has it been 4 1/2 months?

I've settled into a real routine here. Mornings I work on school stuff and afternoons (weather permitting) I try for a long bike ride beginning about 3 p.m. Today is very rainy and cold, so I'm staying in. Probably the same tomorrow.

I'm reflecting on how the quarantine has affected my apartment. I haven't had a visitor in a couple of years anyhow, which means I have very little incentive to clean or vacuum or anything like that. If I can find a place to sit and play on the computer, I'm fine. Purchasing is weird, though. We're not supposed to go out much, so I buy in volume. A year ago, I would never have had (for example) all that canned soup or all that pasta. Now I buy for at least a week or two. Besides that, some things are simply unavailable and others don't come in small packages any more. I really didn't want six rolls of paper towels, but that's the only way to buy them now. I ended up with five pounds of pancake mix, liked it so much that I bought another five when that got low. It's not available any more. Caught the last box of my favorite brand. I keep hoping for blueberry pancake syrup, so I will buy when it shows up. (I'm thinking of a bike ride on the trail near Orrville. Maybe I'll stop in at the Smucker's store and stock up on several bottles.) I don't know when I will ever see angel hair pasta again and my favorite brand of olive oil and balsamic vinegar is disappearing, so I'll stock up.

All of that is really minor stuff, though. I guess I can stay this way for a very long time, and, to tell the truth, when I do get out in public a bit (for example yesterday when I ventured into an antique store), I am pretty fearful. Stay behind the locked door.

No comments:

Post a Comment