Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Beginning the blog again in virus time

This blog has sat dormant for quite some time. I never really gave out the address, so there was no audience, and I figured out that using a fountain pen to write in a journal felt more therapeutic.

The corona virus changed all that. Suddenly everything that looks or feels like social interaction is deadly. I have no doubt that people in future generations will say to one another (from behind their surgical masks and being careful to stay two meters apart and in groups of 10 or fewer), "Gee! Did you guys actually go places together? Eat at restaurants? Attend concerts?" So I'm going to start documenting life, both before and after.

Here's a Facebook post I did today. It's a good introduction to what I'm thinking.

I have no doubt that we will begin thinking of times "BV" and "AV" (Before Virus and After Virus). For me, the changeover began on March 11, when my boss emailed me to point out that the university's extremely toothless statement on our home page ("we're doing everything to protect students' health") really meant we would close classes down for two weeks. The process was completed (in my mind) yesterday when the governor closed all bars, restaurants, and theaters, the university announced that we would not have classes for the rest of the semester, and the bishop closed all our churches.

Apparently, there's no way to figure out how long these shutdowns will last, and Our Great Leader (because he hates all things done by Obama as well as anything that shows scientific knowledge) has fired all the people who can help us know. When there is a snow day, we know that things will be better in a couple of days, a week at the most. This era of closings and quarantines, so far as I have read, might last anywhere from six months to two years.

Physical death isn't the only kind of death to fear. I assume we will survive all this, and we cannot let it kill our spirits.

No comments:

Post a Comment