Saturday, December 28, 2013

Stirring Up the Courses

I had an email from my NCSC boss last night. One of my sections only has four people registered, so they are going to cancel it. (No big problem for me: that one was at the other campus and interfered with some church stuff I wanted to participate in, so losing it is a bit of a blessing.)

Do I want another course? On a different day? Something I've never taught there? Ummm.

I think I'll say yes because it's always a good thing to bail the boss out when she gets in a jam. (The scheduled teacher apparently has a health problem and can't do the course.) So that will mean an emergency job preparing another set of lesson plans and so forth. Fortunately, this course will pay a bit more because it's got a lab attached to it.

People ask me two different questions. How much longer do I intend to keep doing this sort of thing? Answer: until it stops being fun or until I stop being effective. And am I uneasy about a job where I get fired and rehired three times a year? No. Most workers actually don't have the job security that I have. Aside from the personal element (helping that boss with the course emergency will make it more likely for me to get assignments in the future), I do have a contract. I know that I'll be working until the beginning of May. Most employees don't have that; they only know that it's traditional to give two weeks' notice before firing, but even that is not set in stone. The average employee in this country really should ask, "Is this my last day at this job?" I don't have to do that for several months.

No comments:

Post a Comment